The Lighthouse Club was formed in the United Kingdom in 1956 at the Ministry of Public buildings and Works Exhibition, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the North East of England.
The Club was named after St Mary’s Lighthouse, Whitley Bay, a prominent landmark in the area, and this lighthouse was adopted as the Club’s symbol. It was formed to continue the goodwill and co-operation enjoyed by members of the industry at the exhibition.
From this early beginning, the Club has grown to almost 7,000 members in the United Kingdom and enjoys the patronage and support of many of the leading organisations in the civil engineering industry there. The members are all connected with the construction, civil engineering, building, plant and associated industries.